I bit the bullet today.
I attempted to sew with knit fabric (that's the stretchy kind for you non-sewers.) I was scared. I've tried in the past, but it always ended with swearing (under my breath- I have one word I like to say) and a trashed project.
But not today!! I conquered the beast*! And if my pattern wasn't perfect (I drew the sleeves and bodice a little too wide) at least it was decent:
I added a tiny little sash to fix the bodice issue:
The girls love dresses. I love knit dresses. The kind they can move and jump and run in:
I heard a coach** say once, "...Act like ladies, and play like boys." I've never forgotten that line- it runs through my head a lot now that I have two little girls of my own. Their dress obsession doesn't bother me much, as long as they're moving in them:
Cate loves this dress. Halfway through our picture-taking she got the giggles:
So did this one:
I'm not an animal print kind of person. This green stuff came from the Hobby Lobby remnant bin last fall- Cate picked it out for some jammie pants (that obviously didn't happen!) The grey material came from a shirt in the give-away pile. Of course, my favorite part is the button, from Grandma's box:
Not a bad little cheapy dress, if I do say so myself! :)
I attempted to sew with knit fabric (that's the stretchy kind for you non-sewers.) I was scared. I've tried in the past, but it always ended with swearing (under my breath- I have one word I like to say) and a trashed project.
But not today!! I conquered the beast*! And if my pattern wasn't perfect (I drew the sleeves and bodice a little too wide) at least it was decent:
I added a tiny little sash to fix the bodice issue:
The girls love dresses. I love knit dresses. The kind they can move and jump and run in:
I heard a coach** say once, "...Act like ladies, and play like boys." I've never forgotten that line- it runs through my head a lot now that I have two little girls of my own. Their dress obsession doesn't bother me much, as long as they're moving in them:
Cate loves this dress. Halfway through our picture-taking she got the giggles:
So did this one:
I'm not an animal print kind of person. This green stuff came from the Hobby Lobby remnant bin last fall- Cate picked it out for some jammie pants (that obviously didn't happen!) The grey material came from a shirt in the give-away pile. Of course, my favorite part is the button, from Grandma's box:
Not a bad little cheapy dress, if I do say so myself! :)
*I tried some new tricks for sewing with knits: spray starch, a walking foot, and tissue paper. I'm sure using all three was overkill but oh well! They worked! :)
**I met this awesome coach working for FCA one summer.
The dress was based on this tutorial. The flower was from here.
2 comments:
Super cute! You are very talented! I love dresses and skirts on Sharidyn, but I agree...when she's older, I want her moving in them. I want a well-rounded little girl who is a girly girl but is an athlete, too! We'll see what SHE wants, though. :)
So cute! I avoid knit fabric and zippers like the plague- maybe I'll try it now!
Post a Comment