Tuesday, February 9, 2010

a new sewing adventure...

My mom has always been my baby-bedding-maker. And I love that. My own grandma made my baby quilt, which turned into my blankie, which I may or may not know the exact location of at this very moment. (No. It is not in my bed.)
The girls' current quilts were made by my mom when we repainted last spring. I love everything about their room. It's bright and cheerful and colorful and not too decorated (if that makes sense.)
I've discovered that I really like to sew. And if I may be allowed to act as my own psychologist, I believe it is because I like doing something that stays done. And I like fiddling with stuff. I hate patterns. I like figuring things out. And I even find that I enjoy the math. Sewing for me, is like having an adult conversation in the middle of a day. It's a nice break in kiddie-land.

Recently, I made the girls a doll quilt. My first experience in any kind of quilting. I used scraps from their quilts, and came up with this:
Don't look closely. There are plenty of embarrassing mistakes.
(I said, don't look.)
The quilt in action:
(I took the dolls out of bed for the picture!)
So I'm going to make Baby Boy's quilt. Or attempt to anyway. Mom may have to come to my rescue.
I am using the materials in the picture below, but I'm going to do a different quilt pattern. We'll see what happens... :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

what a great skill to have, i have no kind of sewing/crafting/cooking talents! I still have my blankie too - mom found it and gave it to me at a shower. she was thinking i would let Langley use it...maybe i'll share. homemade things remain such a treasure!!