Thursday, October 8, 2009

Whoop-Di-Whoop

Halle has been, not difficult exactly, but more difficult that usual lately. I can't figure it out, except maybe it's the terrible two's catching up to us a year late (she was an easy 2 year old.)
.
This morning we went to the library and I had to threaten "no new books" if she didn't stop whining on the way there. Thankfully it worked, because it wouldn't have been a fun threat to follow through with.
.
After the library we had to run a few more errands before heading home. At the grocery store I finally had to buckle her in the cart like a baby because she wasn't listening very well (opening the freezer doors and pulling packs of cheese off the racks after being told to stop.) I had reached my limit by the time we got in the car. And it didn't help that it was raining and Cate was tired too.
.
On the way home I told Halle she could talk, but to do it quietly. After a few miles she asked, "Mommy, can I sing a song for you?" I (I hate to admit it) rolled my eyes and said yes. She sang the sweetest little version of "A dream is a wish your heart makes" from Cinderella. I'm pretty sure not one word was right, but I almost cried anyway.
.
Then she said, "Mommy, can I try another song for you?" She started singing the funniest thing I have heard in a LONG time. Something she made up about the rain splatting the car and the wipers going "WHOOP-di-WHOOP!" Even Cate was laughing. Again, I had tears in my eyes- this time from laughing.
Isn't it strange how a song can change moods? Have you ever been in the car and heard a song on the radio that made you happy or moody or sad? I have. And maybe it's just me. A long time ago I learned that the song I have in my head plays a big big part in the mood that I'm in. (I am not musical in any way- don't misunderstand- but I love to listen. And sing when no one is near.)
.
I know that God does not have our limitations, and He probably doesn't roll his eyes, but I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for Him when I get willful. Everyday. When I don't do (say, think) the things I know I should do and I do do the things I know I shouldn't. But it is a precious thing to know that He loves me so much more that I could ever love Halle. My heart melts when she sings for me. The Bible says "Sing to the Lord, you saints of his; praise his holy name" (Ps 30:4.) Perhaps this command isn't just because He likes to hear us, but because there is something about getting words in your head- especially TRUE Words- that change US. Change our moods. Change our focus.
.
So today I'm choosing to sing and keep a song in my heart.
Care to join me?
I dare you.
You'll see.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

What a sweet little girl! I know from my experience that 3 (and now 4) was much more difficult than 2. I guess it just depends on the child! Brooklynn loves to gripe, and her favorite phrase is "I don't want to..." (insert whatever applies).

Nancy said...

Thanks, Beck.

'This is the air I breathe...'